Roundabout Intersection Safety
Compared to other types of intersections, roundabouts have demonstrated safety benefits.
- More than 90% reduction in fatalities*
- Up to 76% reduction in injuries*
- Up to 35% reduction in all crashes*
- Slower speeds are safer for pedestrians
* These statistics and images are provided by the US Department of Transportation Federal Highway Administration. For more detailed information, download their roundabout brochure or visit their website.
Roundabouts also have a large number of very positive environmental impacts:
- Less pollution due to fewer stops, starts and idling time
- Less power consumption due to no signal equipment
- Often need less pavement and right of way area
- Quieter operation than traditional intersections
- More aesthetically pleasing and efficient
- Roundabout intersections are also friendlier to both pedestrian and bicycle traffic. Pedestrians should walk around the outside, while bicycles flow with motorized traffic.